Sunday, January 29, 2012

Creamy Caesar Salad


Since Caesar Salad dressing usually contains Parmesan cheese, egg and or anchovies, I was excited to find this vegan version to make.  You have to make the seasoned croutons because there is nothing like bread in a salad to soak up all the flavorful dressing.  I added chickpeas to our salad but I say add whatever makes you happy.


Creamy Caesar Salad 
(from VegWeb.com)

1/3         cup Vegenaise
3            tablespoons lemon juice
1/4         teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4         teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (I used about double)
1/4         teaspoon ground black    pepper
1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil  (I used 1/4 cup, but use more if too thick_)
            day old bread, cubed, for homemade croutons
            romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
            *vegan parmesan cheese (optional, but I used in the dressing and it is much
            better with it added)
            herbs to season croutons  ( used garlic powder, salt and pepper)

            Chickpeas
            Cherry Tomatoes
  
Mix together Vegenaise, lemon, Dijon, Worcestershire, and pepper.
Very slowly, whisk in olive oil to your desired consistency. The more oil the thinner the dressing.  Add parmesan – if using.

Croutons:  I used Ezekiel bread, cut into cubes and placed on a sheet pan.  Drizzle olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Broil until crispy.  You can also pan fry.

I added chickpeas and cherry tomatoes to round out the salad but you can add any of your favorite toppings.

1 comment: